One of the questions I get asked most is how did I lose all the weight? It seems that there is so much information out there and so many new diets to lose weight that the simple message of weight loss gets lost in the mountain of information. I wanted to spend some time to talk about the keys that I found to losing weight and keeping it off for good.
1. Your body is the result of the previous lifestyle decisions you have made. When somebody asks me the question of how I lost the weight, I get the feeling that they are looking for the secret nugget of weight loss. Like everything out there doesn’t work until you find the secret that makes it all come together. There is no secret.
2. Diets never work. There is a lot of misconceptions about diets. In many people’s minds, a diet is something you do to lose weight. In this sense, a diet never leads to permanent weight loss because you never expected it to be permanent.
3. Diets always work. The reason you are hearing about this diet is because it works for somebody. They were able to lose weight with it, but, everybody’s body is different. What works for someone really well may not work for you. Pick something that fits into your lifestyle.
4. Lifestyle decisions make permanent change. One of the first things I did when I started losing weight is I started building habits that led to a healthy lifestyle. My first change was giving up pop (soda for my friends on the east coast). I didn’t undertake a massive change in my habit because it wouldn’t last. I started with one thing and stuck with it until I felt good with the change. Then I moved on to something else.
5. You don’t lose weight overnight. You didn’t gain it overnight and you are not going to lose it overnight either. Remember that you are in this for the long run. You should feel good about what you are eating and the things you are doing to keep your body in shape. You should feel good. It doesn’t matter what the scale says. If you are making good choices and feel good then the number will follow. You really only want to lose two to four pounds a week. It is going to take time so be comfortable with that.